Beyond Grasping - A Posture for a New Year

When it comes to the transition from one year to the next, we get inundated with talk of looking back and looking ahead, oftentimes with the unspoken - but ever present - reality of measuring our lives. "You can do better!" frames our remembering and resolving. But much of this exercise ends up with an approach to life based on grasping or striving for something that is usually far more complex than just setting our mind to it. And we risk allowing our failures or disappointments to define us. As a result, striving itself becomes our identity, not the actual goals to which we aspire. As a famous poet has said, we end up "chasing after the wind."

Taken on my visit to Pender Island (May 2014)
As I look back to 2014 and anticipate 2015, I'm hoping for a better posture to life than the frantic striving that so easily consumes. I want to get beyond grasping.

This passage was important to me in 2014, and I anticipate it will be once more in 2015:

“Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.” (Mt. 11:28-30 The Message)

Happy New Year!


0 comments:

Post a Comment