"Whatever happens"

Transition.

"Movement, passage, or change from one position, state, stage, subject, concept, etc., to another."

This past Sunday I preached my last sermon as pastor at Hyde Creek Community Church. This is a time of transition for me personally, but also for the church. In all the highs and lows of transition, I'm encouraged by how the people of God in the New Testament approached transition. Instead of people leaving, they were sent and commended in their ongoing journey of faith. And transition wasn't made with complete certainty of circumstance, but with a trust and faith amidst whatever the held. As Paul encourages one of the first churches,
  
"Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. Then, whether I come and see you or only hear about you in my absence, I will know that you stand firm in the one Spirit, striving together as one for the faith of the gospel…" (Phil. 1:27 NIV)
   
“Whatever happens” – not a phrase we often use in relation to faith and life. It can be hard to accept with its inherent uncertainty and unpredictability. We like to know what happens, not whatever happens! Often we make risk or unknowns the enemy of faith instead of the context in which faith is experienced. Paul, though, talks about faithfulness and unity in the midst of the unknowns.

My current transition is a "whatever happens" moment. And no doubt I'll encounter many more "whatever happens" moments in the years to come. I'm learning, however, that transition isn't so much about determining certainty for my future, but walking with Jesus in whatever the future holds.


0 comments:

Post a Comment