500!!!

Hard to believe, this is the 500th post on my blog!

Back in 2006 I started blogging as a way to process my own reflections on faith and culture as I studied at Regent College in Vancouver, BC. As I wrote at the beginning, it was, and remains to be, a “chance for me to actually process some of the thoughts and ideas that are bouncing around in my head.” And along the way, this blog has allowed others to share in the journey of what I’m processing. Thanks for the ongoing feedback and comments both on the blog and elsewhere!

A few interesting notes from my blog history:

Since blogger introduced reader stats (2008), my top three most-read posts are:
  1. life, death, and “happy Terry Fox”
  2. light of the world
  3. "love one another"

Looking at labels, I continue to focus primarily on topics of Christianity, church, and culture, which likely isn’t surprising considering my role as a pastor and teacher.

In terms of blogging overall, people often ask me two questions:

  1. Why blog?
  2. Is blogging worth it?

I blog because it’s helpful for me to process my thoughts and experiences - blogging allows me to reflect concretely on my life and the world around me. In many ways, blogging ends up being largely an exercise in self-reflection - I hate to say therapeutic, but at the very least it brings balance and perspective to my-often jumbled mind. And the chance to share some of this reflection with others along the way reminds me that I’m not the first, nor the last to reflect on these issues of religion and culture.

The second question is a little more subjective. Self-imposed pressure to post 2-3 times weekly can create unnecessary stress - it is just a blog afterall! And really, I’m not making any money, so why put so much energy in such a time-consuming endeavor? Essentially, then, I’m back to the “why” question. And to me, blogging has definitely been worth it, personally and in the chance to engage others be it on the blog or in personal conversation.

Will I have another 500 posts? Who knows!?!

Will I continue to reflect, process, and share my considerations on faith, community, and culture? Absolutely!


0 comments:

Post a Comment