Center Church

The following is an excerpt from my latest MB Herald book review:

Tim Keller, Center Church: Doing Balanced, Gospel-Centered Ministry in Your City

Diversity, innovation, busyness, people, poverty, prosperity, development, density, spirituality, culture: a lot happens in cities. Cities are a mosaic of people with countless perspectives on life and culture. Cities are expanding, and along them urban culture. City culture is becoming a global culture. Called to be salt and light in the world (Matthew 5:13–16), Christians need to engage this urban reality. Tim Keller’s latest book, Center Church, offers an inspiring vision for such engagement.

For those expecting a model for ministry based on Keller’s own Redeemer Church, this book is not for you. This is no “church in a box” program for urban ministry, but a theological vision that “is a faithful restatement of the gospel with rich implications for life, ministry, and mission in a type of culture at a moment in history.” And for Keller, the city’s time is now.

(Read the rest here) 


2 comments:

Greg Harris said...

Hey Dave,

Thanks for a great review! I too have been encouraged by Keller's work, and this book is on my shelf waiting to be read.

Do you think this book will be one that Bible colleges use for their church ministry courses in the near future?

David Warkentin said...

Hi Greg, thanks for the feedback - good to see you reviewing for the Herald as well! You point out well how too often poor caricatures can drive our arguments.

In terms of your question, yes I think "Center Church" will start to show up at Bible colleges. It was recommended to me by two profs at CBC and I considered using it for my first year class I'm teaching, "Church in Mission." I chose not to mainly because of the length and depth of the content. I think it would be better suited to an upper level undergrad class.

Post a Comment