Where is the Advent music?

I've been thinking a lot about waiting this Advent.

I also like Christmas music. I don't mind spending the month of December listening to cheesy holiday music breeze the airwaves in home, car, mall, etc...

But most Christmas music isn't Advent music. There isn't much waiting.

O Come O Come Emmanuel is about it - which happens to be one of my favorite Christmas songs.

So I was surprised to note the lyrics of one popular Christmas tune that I'd never noticed before.

When a Child is Born - my favorite version is by Boney M - places the good news of Christmas firmly within the context of waiting - waiting in hopeful expectation that sorrow of this life won't reign forever. The hope of the baby's birth is meaningful in the very fact that we wait. It's good news because we wait.

...And all of this happened
Because the world is waiting
Waiting for one child
Black, white, yellow, no one knows
But a child that would grow up and turn tears to laughter
Hate to love, war to peace
And everyone to everyone's neighbour
Misery and suffering would be forgotten forever...

This comes to pass when a child is born...

In a time of countless shallow Christmas songs, the depth of this song - even in all its cheesiness - has enriched my Advent journey.

Any other good Advent songs to recommend?


For your listening and watching pleasure, check out this music video of the Johnny Mathis version of When A Child is Born:


0 comments:

Post a Comment