fads

Fads.

Our culture is prone to fads. Social media only increases the faddishness of our culture. Take fashion. My wife asked me recently, “who picks the fashion trends each year?” It seems completely random - most times absurd - what is deemed popular. Yet every year new fashions catch on. Fads are born. “Mom-jeans” anyone!?!

In general, I find fads quite intriguing. They make cultural history so interesting and colorful, even if mostly ridiculous looking back. And yes, we all do it. No saying, “I’m glad I’m not faddish!” Even 'counter-cultural' can become a fad.

A few random fads I’ve noticed are:

Planking: lying face down in an unusual or incongruous location and posting a picture on the Internet.

Sliders: mini-hamburgers. I think every restaurant has these now.

“whassup”: ad campaign that had men all over greeting each other in this really annoying, yet catchy, manner.

Reality TV: Even though it's been running for over ten years, I still hope this is only a fad!

Calculator watch: really thought this one would stick around...


As a pastor, I’m also led to think of religion and spirituality - fads abound here as well:

Prayer of Jabez: an obscure Old Testament passage used to ‘guarantee’ prosperity and success.

The Secret: Oprah-endorsed philosophy suggesting that positive thinking can literally change the energy of the universe, creating life-changing results such as increased wealth, health, and happiness.

WWJD bracelets: a whole industry of merchandise asking the question, “what would Jesus do?”


So, I’m curious, what’s your favorite (or least favorite!) fad?

1 comments:

Blogger said...

There is shocking news in the sports betting industry.

It's been said that every bettor needs to see this,

Watch this now or stop betting on sports...

Sports Cash System - Robotic Sports Betting Software.

Post a Comment