"Hold Us Together"

I’ve had a song by Matt Maher ringing in my head for a few days now:



Love, will, hold us together
Make us a shelter
to weather the storm

And I'll, be, my brothers keeper
So the whole world will know
That we're not alone

I hear this song and think of the graphic images coming from Japan. The earthquake/tsunami tragedy continues to haunt many around the world as we try to process the immense loss the Japanese continue to endure. May our prayers remain with them, but also our actions. In these days and the days ahead, I hope Japan experiences how they are not alone.

I also think of Christians around the world and even a little closer to home. It seems even more petty in the face of natural disaster, but us Jesus-followers continue to fight with one another. All I have to do is say, “Rob Bell,” and many will know what I mean. His book, Love Wins, is finally released today. So is Brian McLaren’s book, Naked Spirituality. Sadly, these two authors illustrate how followers of Jesus tend to accuse, vilify, condemn, write-off, or ignore each other when we disagree or don’t like one another. Too often, love doesn’t hold us together.

But I also just think of life in general. How do I relate to my wife? How do I treat my neighbours? Or people in rush hour? Or children at the park? My parents? My coworkers? People I like? And people I don’t like? You get the point: How do I treat EVERYONE?

And then I think of these words I shared on this past Sunday at Neighbourhood Church in Nanaimo (where we also sung “Hold Us Together”):
Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us (1 John 4:7-12 NIV).
God is love...Love one another.

Japan. Christians. Everyday encounters. LOVE ONE ANOTHER!

Now that’s something to hold us together!

0 comments:

Post a Comment