ancient attraction

Following my posts on church shopping, I got into some interesting discussion with a couple of former schoolmates from my days at Columbia Bible College. Since our time studying together, one of these friends has left his evangelical faith...for the Orthodox church tradition.

Among many things, this friend was drawn to the historical consistency in Orthodoxy. What about church shopping? Or theological preference? What church shopping!?! What theological preference!?! Orthodoxy is Orthodoxy. It always has been. As Wikipedia describes, Orthodoxy “considers itself to be the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church established by Jesus Christ and his Apostles almost 2,000 years ago.” Schisms, conflict, denominations, church splits, and the like are said to be absent. Orthodoxy has been the same for 2000 years. And in our age of shallow attempts at relevance and depth, I can see the appeal in such a long-standing, consistent tradition - a sort-of ancient attraction.

I’d like to offer more comment, especially on some of the interesting aspects within the Orthodox tradition, like the beliefs around salvation and personal transformation. And their dedication to liturgical worship is intense, personally and corporately (e.g. Lent and fasting). But first I’d like to experience it in person.

So upon invitation, I’m going to check it out tonight - date night! Julie and I are going to attend a Lent liturgy (similar to a church service, but not called that) at Saint Herman of Alaska Orthodox Church in Langley, BC. I’m quite looking forward to journeying through Lent with these brothers and sisters in faith that I know so little about.

And if you’re unfamiliar with Orthodox gatherings, this little read was quite interesting in preparation to attend: "12 Things I Wish I'd Known...First Visit to an Orthodox Church."

Look for a reflection on my experience next week...

0 comments:

Post a Comment