travel "will possess your heart"

Two years ago Julie and I had the privilege of traveling to Italy and Greece in late spring. And so it's impossible for me to experience May-June without remembering our journey.

Prior to departing, the band Death Cab for Cutie released their album "Narrow Stairs" and so it became a sort of soundtrack for our trip as many hours traversing the landscape by train were spent with these tunes in my ear. In particular, "I will possess your heart" became etched in my mind to which even now I am transported back to Italy each time I listen to it. While the hypnotic bass line was alone enough to get me hooked , the lyrics poignantly describe the romantic nature of journey and exploration:

"You gotta spend some time, love. You gotta spend some time with me,
and I know that you'll find love, I will possess your heart."

There is a surreal quality to travel in new lands and foreign cultures, leaving an indelible mark in the memory of the traveler; and most definitely an appetite for more. I don't want to over analyze our trip (or over-theologize), but I can't help but think such experiences reflect a greater yearning that is simply part of the human condition - the journey to find something or someone to possess our hearts. We search for meaning in globetrotting adventure because such exploration makes us feel alive - connected to a broader reality than our own little worlds.

So this spring I'm listening to these familiar songs not only for fond memories that are precious to me, but as a reminder to not stop my journey - to keep exploring the depths of meaning in relationships and experiences that truly do possess my heart.


(I hadn't watched the music video until today, and so was thrilled to see the official music video express what I experienced on our trip - images of journeying in the beauty of this world.)

Here's some pictures of our trip (more here):

1 comments:

prushton said...

Hey Dave,

I like, "We search for meaning in globetrotting adventure because such exploration makes us feel alive - connected to a broader reality than our own little worlds."

I can definitely connect with this. I have found my travel experiences to really draw me out of the small world I often live in. I remember a couple of summers ago really wrestling with my faith when we were hiking through Yosemite National Park in California. These ancient rock formations were forcing me to wrestle with what I believe about science and creation etc.

Traveling his good for the mind and soul.

Post a Comment