can you be "hip" and Christian?

I recently asked, "Is it cool to be Anabaptist?" Well, this week I ask: can you be "hip" and Christian?

Here's dictionary.com's definition of hip: Familiar with or informed about the latest ideas, styles, developments, etc... considered aware of or attuned to what is expected, esp. with a casual or knowing air; "cool."

And in the urban dictionary: Cooler than cool, the pinnacle of what is "it". Beyond all trends and conventional coolness.

As a college student I devised a personal motto that helped direct my theological conscience: "beware of the bandwagon." As I studied, I found myself questioning how the process in which we align ourselves to one Christian group or trend takes place. Sadly, it seemed to me, the popularity - "hip-quotient" - ranked pretty high in determining peoples' core convictions, be those emergent, Anabaptist, conservative, Reformed, etc... My motto, then, has remained an integral part of how I process my own Christian faith and practice. I don't want to take lightly how my identity as a follower of Jesus is formulated and lived out.

And so this week, I was intrigued as my weekly interweb-meanderings brought me to Hipster Christianity -"where church and cool collide." Here you can take a survey which asks, "Are You A Christian Hipster?" So I took the quiz. Here are my results:

Your Christian Hipster Quotient: 69/120


Low CHQ. You probably belong to the purpose-driven, seeker-sensitive, Hawaiian shirt-wearing Christian establishment, even though you are open to some of the "rethinking Christianity" stuff. You seem to like edginess in some measure but become uneasy when your idea of Christian orthodoxy is challenged by some renegade young visionary who claims the virgin birth isn't necessary.


I don't know if I should be disappointed, happy, or just plain confused. But while I don't think it rightly describes me, it's a humorous exercise nonetheless. It's interesting, though, because humorous doesn't necessarily equate unimportant. How we develop our Christian identity is a crucial process I believe we must understand better. Satirically, then, Hipster Christianity stands as another reminder for me to understand the complexity of my Christian identity, continuing to "beware of the bandwagon."

So, are you a Christian hipster?

(Feel free to share your results in the comments section)

h/t to Experimental Theology for the link to Hipster Christianity

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. I scored 64/120. *sigh*

Brian Cooper

David Warkentin said...

I guess we just have to try harder Brian! I echo your sigh...

Post a Comment