Surprised by Lent

I'll admit, Lent always seems to sneak up out of nowhere, often going unnoticed in my own life (and many churches for that matter). In a society that immerses itself in celebration at Christmas while paying little attention to Easter time, I fear the church - and our experience of faith - often follows suit. We set aside time to mark the birth of the Son of God, yet spend little energy reflecting on how we are transformed by the rest of Jesus' life story - a story that expands and completes what began at the Emmanuel event of Christmas.

So this year, I'd like Lent to be different. Instead of being surprised by the mere presence of Lent, I'm exploring how I might be surprised by Lent itself - how might40 days reflecting on the life of Jesus affect my understanding of faith?

To aid my Lenten exploration, I'm using a couple of helpful resources. One is a Lent devotional put out by the Mennonite Brethren Seminary - "Walking With Jesus in Faithfulness." Another, "The Lent Project" is a creative collaboration facilitated by Artisan Church in Vancouver

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like when people are expressing their opinion and thought. So I like the way you are writing

Post a Comment