for your amusement (or annoyance)

A few things have come my way this week that I couldn't help but share. I'll admit, the first two are high on the cringe meter, particularly for someone concerned about the relationship between Christianity and culture. Hopefully my third link will make up for the first two.

1. Jesus and MMA - “Where Feet, Fist and Faith Collide.”

Go here to read about how Christians are using Mixed Martial Arts as an evangelistic tool.

"Recruitment efforts at the churches, which are predominantly white, involve fight night television viewing parties and lecture series that use ultimate fighting to explain how Christ fought for what he believed in."

One leader is actually called the Fight Pastor.

Ugh!!!


2. Return on Ministry

Follow the arrows to see how just the right formula can lead to church success, or as they say in the church business, a better "return on ministry." They may have good intentions, but with the absence of questions like, "how is a church being faithful, not just successful," I'm a little suspicious.

Or check this out for a comical critique as someone navigates the Return on Ministry tool.

ROM - Return On Ministry from The Work Of The People on Vimeo.



3. Ok, enough cringing, as I quite like this last link, a video interview with N.T. Wright on how we read Genesis 1-3. How we understand the relationship between myth, history, and truth has major implications for how we read the Bible. Wright explore some of these implications.

4 comments:

Andrew said...

1. Are you saying that the early Christians were not fully in support of the gladiators and arenas? I'm pretty sure they were... or maybe your saying that MMA is just so different from the Collisseum...? :)

2. As for this; I love how mistakes that have been around for a while (well, relatively; last 50 years anyway) get these awesome face-lifts on the internet. Here is another good example, though one some people won't immediately see any problems with: http://www.tangle.com/view_video?viewkey=57b89216572c373fc2d1&utm_source=newsletter010410&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weeklytopvideos

3. Thanks for this link; though I always wish in interviews like this that the scholar would just come out and say what they are really thinking. I get why he is tip-toeing in such an exaggerated fashion, but that doesn't mean I have to like it :)

David Warkentin said...

Hey Andrew, thanks for the thoughts and the link. Here's my take:

1. Oh yeah, I forgot that all aspects of Christian history can validate our choices now. Thanks for the reminder ;). Reminds me I need to chase my neighbors into a nearby creek so they'll get baptized(note sarcastic tone of voice :).

2. sin = "imperfect soul." Hmm, reveals a pretty vague view of human identity (I won't get into the assumption for the relationship within the Godhead or purely forensic view of salvation). And like you allude, it's not easy to notice these discrepancies in interpretation. Oh, and about halfway through the video I started getting dizzy!

3. Yeah, I see your frustration, although I actually resonate with Wright's tiptoeing - presents an alternative approach to theology (more of a conversation).

Andrew said...

Lol, I also was being sarcastic in my 1.

I can see your point on number 3 as well. I guess it's more than fair for Wright to seek a conversation by defining some ground rules and pointing in some new directions. I hadn't thought about it like that.

fightpastor said...

http://fightpastor.com/2010/02/08/breaking-the-silence-fight-pastor-responds-to-the-new-york-times/

Post a Comment