let the busyness begin

I’m not sure about you, but the busyness of September can easily become a drain on the psyche. Kind of like the first day of class when you get your syllabi and are bombarded by the long list of assignments that require completion in the weeks and months that follow. It’s a daunting place to be.

If you’re part of a church, the kick-off of fall programs can bring similar feelings. Fall fairs, care group socials, worship team practices, strategic planning, Christmas planning (yes already!), Alpha, youth group, clean-up day, kids club, soup kitchen, bible study, family nights, board meetings… I think you get the point. Church is BUSY.

But is busyness really why we go to church? Aren’t there enough other activities in our lives that fill up our schedule? Isn’t there a way church can be more than just filler in my weekly timetable?

Well, that’s led me to ask the question, “What’s the point?” Why do we do the things we do in church? And to be honest, I don’t think there’s an easy answer. So I’ve decided to title my sermon this coming Sunday, “What’s the point?” I have been charged to speak a message on who we are and what we do as a local community church. Hopefully questioning (and answering?) this crucial question can provide a frame of reference from which we can understand (and perhaps reprioritize) our busyness in church.

And so I plan to share my discoveries over the next week. Likely some things will be positive – at least I assume that what we do week to week does have some value in the context of God’s kingdom. But I also suspect to be challenged, as there may be areas of my life and our church that have succumbed to merely adding busyness to our lives. In this case, my prayer is that we’ll seriously engage how to be more faithful in our church life.

I’ll keep you posted on my progress...

0 comments:

Post a Comment