Movies Anyone?

Well, this time of year when award ceremonies grace our Sunday evening television sets, I can’t help but wish I had more time to go to the movies. Undoubtedly for marketing purposes, December and January produce many of the year’s best flicks just in time for publicity of the Golden Globes and Oscars. Unfortunately, life with a 3 ½ month-old doesn’t facilitate frequent movie-going. And so instead of offering reviews (I haven’t seen anything recently except James Bond, which was only ok) I simply offer a few movies I think (and have heard) would be worth watching. Here goes:

The Wrestler

A story about a washed up wrestler (Mickey Rourke) still hanging onto his career at the age of 50, what draws me to this film (besides the memory of my teenage years and watching WWF) is the struggle of individuals navigating their own brokenness presented in what appears to not gloss over the reality of pain in our world. Said to be a “complex meditation on addiction and eternal struggle,” this movie tops my list.

Doubt

I find myself drawn to films related to issues of morality, particularly stories that present the often turbulent and confusing process in which competing moralities are confronted with one another. Set in a New York Catholic school, the story pits a priest (Philip Seymour Hoffman) and a nun (Meryl Streep) against one another in what appears to be a battle of character and conviction as the nun accuses the priest of sexual misconduct. From what I hear, there is no lack of discussion points from viewing this film.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

While a sucker for a quality romance (no, I’m not joking!), what interests me about this film is how they made it. In a story about a man who ages backwards (Brad Pitt), the filmmakers utilize their current technological prowess in what is supposed to be a believable presentation of an otherwise unbelievable story.

Anyway, feel free to offer other suggestions or comment on these (just don’t ruin anything please!). If you’re interested in good reviews, my favorite site is Rotten Tomatoes, which summarizes each film and compiles reviews from all over, using the idea of “fresh” or “rotten” to determine a movie’s quality. So far I have found it quite helpful and accurate. Another site where you can basically find details on any movie ever made is the Internet Movie Database.

3 comments:

Naomi said...

Well Dave, I don't get to too many movies either but I did manage to get to one this weekend. If you are looking for a good one, Slumdog Millionaire is definitely one of them. I don't want to give anything away so I will just say it is good and worth the money. Great soundtrack as well.

dwark said...

Yeah, I've heard some good things as well. Thanks! Add it to the list I guess!

Peter Thurley said...

Doubt is a pretty awesome movie. You should see it, if you have a chance. Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Meryl Streep both do an excellent job.

Post a Comment