"WWJDrive"

I have recently found myself grated by the apparent increase in people driving oversized pickup trucks and SUV’s around the lower mainland. I know many people are in construction, or desire to avoid the connotations associated with owning mini-vans (whatever those may be…), so I want to make sure I don’t just label everyone with a truck or SUV as irresponsible. That said, I still think many people do not consider vehicle choice to be an important ethical decision related to our faith. Reflecting on this I came up with the very tacky question of “would Jesus drive an SUV?” I think it is a valid question, as the message of Jesus pertaining Christian living concerns more than just an intellectual agreement with the gospel. It’s a life lived in commitment to loving God and loving others, which I would argue includes what vehicle we drive.

I mentioned my "innovative" reflection to a friend, and he mentioned he had heard of something like that. So I Googled the question “would Jesus drive an SUV” and what do you know, I am about five years late! Back in 2002 the Evangelical Environmental Network (no, does not have to be an oxymoron) started an initiative to get Christians to take seriously how our vehicle decisions affect the environment. This initiative is called “WWJDrive” and has enlisted the support from many prominent Christians around North America. There main assertion: transportation choice is a moral issue! I tend to agree.

Anyway, check out the website as I was encouraged to know that despite the glaring evidence that may suggest otherwise, some people are taking their Christian faith seriously to include all life choices, which in this case pertains to the ethical implications of transportations choices.

1 comments:

al gore said...

I feel pretty good about driving my SUV around. I have a motorcade and a couple of private jets. I recently flew on one of these to give a speech in Oslo and to lobby for my Nobel Peace prize nomination. I spend a lot of money on my electricity on my huge mansion and home out in Washington state. Do not worry about my carbon footprint though, because I buy carbon credits from my own carbon credit offset company. I learned from the catholic church that making people feel guilty for the things they enjoy doing and then charging them for indulgences so they can do these things without feeling so guilty is a great way to start business. They have been in business almost 1700 hundred years. We hope that this issue will prove to have the same staying power.

Post a Comment