Context...

Here’s a little context for my recent wonderings…

You may be asking where I am going with this whole question of “is evangelism possible?” So far I have discussed some of the issues in North American culture, as well as a couple of attempts to communicate the “good news” as relevant. And just so you know, my critique thus far has been completely unoriginal (not sure if that’s good or bad…), but I thought I should give props to one of my prof’s books, where he discusses in much depth and far more eloquence many of these issues (Craig Gay: The Way of the (modern) World. Or, Why It’s Tempting to Live As if God Doesn’t Exist).

That said, this whole question of evangelism’s relevance was sprung in my mind when I recently attended a lecture at Trinity Western University by Os Guinness, where he lectured on “Truth in our Contemporary Society” coupled with a lecture titled “Creative Persuasion.” Concurrently, I have been reading Stanley Hauerwas in preparation for one of my assignments. Hauerwas’ primary contention with the church in North America is that it has succumbed to the authority of liberal democracy, rather than remaining faithful to the particularity of the Christian message (Resident Aliens is an excellent short book on much of what Hauerwas stands for).

So what exactly does Guinness’ “creative persuasion” and Hauerwas’ “alternative community” imply for the Christian message on Western society? Can they possibly answer my question?

Well, in order to keep my posts at a length that sustains the attention of demanding fellow bloggers and readers, I will leave you hanging.

More to come…

0 comments:

Post a Comment