First Reaction?

Today in the news was a sad story… Earlier in January a couple gave birth to sextuplets. Unfortunately two of them died, and three of the remaining four needed intense medical care in order to survive. The reason this story headlined the news, however, was not to highlight the tragedy of this story. What was at the forefront is a legal case of religious freedom conflicting with human rights as it relates to the parents’ refusal to accept medical care for their children. Thankfully the government intervened to provide the lifesaving treatment the surviving infants needed.

Much be could said regarding this story, and my first reaction was to write a post on “the limits of tolerance in a free society.” While there is a place to discuss this, an immediate leap into what I see as an “important” issue seems somewhat vain and insensitive to the fact that we live in a hurting world where each story we hear involves real people, not just issues to discuss.

Perhaps there is a more appropriate first reaction. So in my feeling of helplessness in the face of tragedy I invite you in join me in slowing down…

O Lord, how long shall I cry for help,
and you will not listen?
Or cry to you ‘Violence!’
and you will not save?
Why do you make me see wrongdoing
and look at trouble?
Destruction and violence are before me;
strife and contention arise.
So the law becomes slack
and justice never prevails.
The wicked surround the righteous—
therefore judgement comes forth perverted.
(Habakkuk 1:2-4)

1 comments:

ryan said...

Invitation accepted...

Post a Comment